Maven Dental Group is committed to the right to privacy and the protection of personal and health information in accordance with privacy and spam laws.
Introduction to privacy and spam
Maven Dental Group Pty and its Australian related entities must comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (‘Privacy Act’) and must handle the personal information (including health information) that it collects and holds in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (‘APPs’). The Privacy Act and the APPs apply to all Maven Dental Group facilities and business units operating internationally, unless contrary to local law.
Maven Dental Group is also bound by the SPAM Act 2003.
By visiting our website, or providing us with your personal information either electronically, in writing, over the telephone or in person, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this policy and the applicable laws of Australia. We reserve the right to update the terms of this Policy at any time.
What is personal information?
Personal information means information or an opinion about you, whether true or not, from which your identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained. This is whether the information is recorded in a material format or not. Personal information may also include information we may collect about your individual preferences.
Dealing with Maven Dental Group anonymously
Where it is lawful and practicable to do so, individuals may deal with Maven Dental Group anonymously (e.g. when enquiring about Maven Dental Group services generally).
Why does Maven Dental Group collect personal information?
Maven Dental Group will only collect personal information from you when is reasonably necessary to undertake our business activities and functions, or as otherwise permitted by law.
We may collect your personal information for one or more of the following reasons:
• To gain an understanding of you needs so we may provide you with the required service and advice
• To contact you to provide advice or information in relation to the way in which the service will be or has been provided
• To improve the quality of Maven Dental Group’s service
• For surveys, direct marketing, promotions or competitions
• To ensure the proper function of the website and online software
• For our marketing, planning, product development and research requirements
• For the promotion of Maven Dental Group, our suppliers, practices, and/or third party partners
• To administer and manage those services including charging, billing and collecting debts
• Where required by law
• To communicate with you
• To respond to your requests, questions, comments and complaints
• To notify you about special offers and products or services available from us or our participating partners
• To solicit information from you
• To resolve disputes or resolve problems
• To prevent prohibited or illegal activities
• As may otherwise be described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent
• Facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements
• Analysing our services and customer needs with a view to developing new and/or improved services
We may also use your personal information for other purposes not listed above which will be made clear to you at the time we collect your personal information, or for such purposes as may be required or permitted by law.
What personal information does Maven Dental Group collect and hold?
The information collected may include your:
• Date of birth
• Address (postal and email)
• Telephone numbers
• Medicare, health fund and health insurance cover details
• Medical history, test results and other health information
• Other information necessary for Maven Dental Group functions and activities
• Person to contact in case of emergency
• Opinion in relation to any of our business activities via surveys and/or competitions and trade promotions
• Other such information (including proof of identity) that is relevant for us to provide our products and services to you in the manner that you have requested, or to comply with the law
If you are making an application or enquiry in relation to employment, or you have a dental practice and are interested in joining Maven Dental Group, or you are an existing employee or practice, we may collect additional information from you such as:
• Details relating to you and your guarantor
• Details of your referees
• Information provided by your referees
• Credit checks
• Criminal history checks
• Results of any profile testing
• Results of any pre-employment testing
• Identity documents
• Tax file number
• Health information
• Details of your next of kin
How is personal information collected?
Maven Dental Group will, if reasonable and practicable to do so, collect personal and health information directly from you. This may take place when you fill out documents such as a form.
Information may also be collected from you in other ways, including:
• Via our website
• Via our social media pages
• In writing
• If you complete an entry form for any competition and/or trade promotion whether operated by us or one of our practices
• If you complete any survey
• If you post us your information
• Use of our wireless internet system
• If you call us
• Through our practices
• If you provide us with your information in any other format such as verbally or via text message
Maven Dental Group may collect personal and health information from third parties such as:
• Your health service provider
• A health professional who has treated you
• Your family
• Other sources where necessary to provide a health service
Information via the website and online software
Every time you use our website, information may be collected by us or on our behalf via services such as Google Analytics.
Types of information collected may include:
• The date and time of your visit to our website and online software
• Your IP address
• The address of the documents you access
• The type of browser and operating system you are using
• Any address of a recurring site and any other website you are about to visit
• The information you submit regarding payment particulars
The information that may be collected provides us with details about how the website is being used including the frequency and duration of visits, and which web pages you have accessed on the website.
Using and disclosing personal information
Maven Dental Group will not sell, distribute, rent, licence, disclose or reveal, share or pass your information or personal details onto any third parties, other than in accordance with this policy, and to those who are contracted to us to keep your information or personal details confidential.
Maven Dental Group may disclose personal information:
• Where it is for the primary purpose for which it was collected
• To our related entities, suppliers, employees, consultants, contractors or agents for the primary purpose or for other purposes directly related to the primary purpose for which the personal information was collected
• To relevant federal, state and territory authorities for the purpose of investigating a health issue, including a workplace health and safety matter
• Where it is required to ensure the proper functioning of the website
• If your personal details are to be used by a participating third party contracted to us and the participating third party is bound by a confidentiality agreement with us
• If we are required or authorised by law or if it is reasonably necessary to enforce the law (whether in Australia or overseas)
• If the information or personal details is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim
• To others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you
• You have given express (or implied) consent to us for a prescribed purpose
• Continuity of care with other health service providers involved in your s treatment or diagnostic services
• Providing you with further information about treatment options
• Conveying information to a responsible person (e.g. parent, guardian, spouse) when you are incapable or cannot communicate, unless you have requested otherwise
• Conveying information to close family members in accordance with the recognised customs of medical practice
• Management, funding, service-monitoring, planning, evaluation and complaint handling
• Quality assurance or clinical audit activities
• Accreditation activities
• Health insurance funding
• Billing and debt recovery
• Addressing liability indemnity arrangements including reporting to Maven Dental Group’s insurers and legal representatives
• Research or the compilation or analysis of statistics relevant to public health and safety
• Activities directly related to the provision of health services to you where you would reasonably expect disclosure
Maven Dental Group will only provide personal and health information for the purposes of marketing and promotional activities with your consent.
We may occasionally hire other companies to provide services on our behalf, including but not limited to handling customer support enquiries or processing transactions. Those companies will be permitted to obtain only the personal information they need to deliver the service. Maven Dental Group takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
Trans-border data flows
We operate and communicate with organisations throughout Australia, New Zealand and other overseas organisations. Therefore some disclosures will occur outside the state or territory in which you are resident, and in some circumstances, outside Australia. Maven Dental Group will only disclose information to an organisation in a country which has a substantially similar privacy regime or where the overseas organisation has agreed to comply with Australian privacy law.
SPAM is an electronic message that is both unsolicited and commercial in nature. We assure you that:
• We have crafted an internal policy to educate our staff and implement clear guidelines and rules in relation to the dissemination of commercial electronic messages
• You are at liberty to unsubscribe from any mailing list to which you have previously subscribed. If for any reason there appears to be no facility to be removed from the mailing list, please send us an email as detailed in this policy, or alternatively you may call (07) 5635 2000 within ordinary business hours and request to speak to our SPAM Policy Administrator
• We will not use address-harvesting software for any reason
To assist us in combating SPAM we request your assistance with the following:
• If you receive an unauthorised commercial or offensive message, which appears to originate from our email address, please assume that it has been sent in error and notify us immediately on the above noted contact details
• Please ensure that you unsubscribe from any of our mailing lists if you decide you no longer wish to receive commercial messages from us or our contracted third parties
• If you do subscribe to any of our mailing lists, please ensure that we have your current details at all times, by updating us on any change in or cancellation of your email address
Our website may contain links to other web sites on the Internet. Please be aware that we are not responsible or liable for the privacy practices of such other web sites.
We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. You access destination links at your own risk. Because we want to provide you with the best service possible, we would appreciate your comments about any external links.
Third party advertising services
We may utilise certain third-party advertising services (e.g. organizations such as FastClick or Google) to display advertising for our advertisers. These third-party services may place a cookie on your computer for the purposes of ad tracking and presentation. We do not share personally identifiable visitor information with these third-party services.
Using government identifiers
In certain circumstances we are required, to collect government identifiers such as Medicare, pension or Veteran’s Affairs numbers. We will only use or disclose this information in accordance with the law.
Storing personal information
Maven Dental Group stores personal and health information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. The security of personal and health information is important to Maven Dental Group and reasonable steps are taken to protect it from misuse or loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways this is done include:
• Requiring our staff to maintain confidentiality
• Implementing document storage security
• Imposing security measures for access to our computer systems
• Providing a secure environment and access control for confidential information
• Only allowing access to personal and health information where the individual seeking access has satisfied our identification requirements
Personal and health information is retained for the period of time determined by law and is disposed of in a secure manner.
Keeping personal information accurate and up to date
Maven Dental Group takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal and health information it collects, uses and discloses is accurate, complete and up to date. However, the accuracy of that information depends largely on the quality of the information provided to Maven Dental Group. It is therefore suggested that you:
• Let Maven Dental Group know if there are any errors in your personal or health information
• Keep Maven Dental Group up to date with changes to your personal information (e.g. you name and address)
• You may do this by mail or email (see ‘Contacting Maven Dental Group’)
Accessing personal information
Medical records are the property of Maven Dental Group, however you have a right to access them subject to some exceptions allowed by law. You can contact Maven Dental Group to request access (see ‘Contacting Maven Dental Group’). We may charge a fee for collating and providing access to personal and health information. In the case of Pathology services, it is recommended that patients obtain the information from the referring doctor. Maven Dental Group will disclose the medical record to an authorised personal representative or legal adviser where you have provided written authority, unless any of the legislative exceptions apply.
Maven Dental Group is committed to protecting online privacy. In general, visits to Maven Dental Group websites can be made without revealing any personal information.
Maven Dental Group websites contain links to Web sites operated by third parties. Maven Dental Group has no control over the privacy policies and practices of such third -party sites. When following links to other sites from a Maven Dental Group website we recommend that you read the privacy statement of that site to familiarise yourself with its privacy practices.
Email addresses provided will only be used to provide the requested service or response to specific user queries and will not be added to any mailing lists, nor disclosed to any other party without users’ knowledge and consent, unless required by law.
Maven Dental Group may provide third parties with aggregate statistics about our visitors, traffic patterns and related site information. This data reflects site-usage and does not contain identifying information. Maven Dental Group does not provide any third -party access to your personal information.
Patient health information submitted electronically
The information about a visitor’s access to a Maven Dental Group website is distinct from a patient’s health information which may, be sent or stored online.
If Maven Dental Group is not able to satisfactorily answer your concerns, you may make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner on telephone number 1300 363 992 or in writing to:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner www.privacy.gov.au/complaints
Contacting Maven Dental Group
You may ask any questions about privacy and the way Maven Dental Group manages personal and health information, complain about the handling of your information or obtain a form requesting access to personal and health information by contacting us by:
+61 (07) 5635 2000
Attn: Privacy Officer
Maven Dental Group,
PO Box 1146,
Southport BC, QLD 4215,