The main risk factors for most cases of mouth cancers are tobacco and alcohol consumption. Other contributing factors can include:
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Family history of oral cancers
- Poor oral hygiene
- Exposure to the sun
We advise taking care of your oral health with a combination of at home dental care and building a good relationship with your dentist or dental hygienist. For a healthy smile and overall good oral health we recommend:
- Daily healthy habits
- Regular visits to the dentist
- Practice good oral hygiene habits at home including brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day
- Book routine hygiene & check-up visits with a dentist or dental hygienist ideally every 6 months or as advised by your dentist
What to do if you are showing signs of oral cancer
If oral cancer symptoms are identified, book an appointment with your local Maven Dental practice to discuss further causes and treatment to prevent further complications.
What treatment options are available?
We recommend you book an appointment with your local Maven dentist to learn more about possible treatment options, as well as further discuss and provide expert advice on restoring and maintaining great oral health.