Dental Implants in Melbourne CBD - Nova Dental
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a fixture placed into the jawbone. The implant acts as a support or anchor for a replacement tooth, bridge, or set of teeth.
Why would I need a Dental Implant?
Dental implants may be an option for people who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason.
What are Dental Implants made of?
Dental implants are typically made of titanium, a biocompatible (not harmful or toxic to living tissue) material that is accepted by the body and serves as a solid and durable foundation for replacement teeth. Your natural bone locks the implant into place by fusing (attaching itself) to the implant.
What are the varying types of Dental Implants?
Standard dental implants
Dental implants can be used for single or multiple tooth replacement. A single tooth replacement uses one implant that supports a single artificial tooth. If you have more than one tooth that needs replacing, you may need additional implants, or larger implants to support your replacement teeth. If you have a small space between your teeth, mini or micro implants use smaller screws to replace teeth.
There is no limit to the number of implants that can be placed; you may choose to replace the upper jaw of teeth, the lower jaw, or the entire mouth. If you are considering major restoration, consult your dental healthcare professional for the best advice.
When multiple teeth are missing, bridgework may be required. Fixed bridges do not rely on the support of your remaining teeth like standard bridges. Dental implants are responsible for supporting the bridgework.
Dentures can be implant-supported to provide a more permanent and secure fix. Implant-supported dentures use special attachments to reduce movement.
There is no need to remove and clean your implant-supported dentures. Implant-supported dentures are secure, comfortable, feel natural and will not irritate your gums or cause gum and bone damage, like traditional dentures sometimes can.
Dentures can be made to closely resemble your original smile or can be designed to improve your smile.
Endosseous implants are placed within the bone and are typically shaped like a screw or cylinder.
This type of implant is the most popular option however the bone must have enough depth and width for it to be successful.
Subperiosteal implant are placed on top of the bone, but underneath the gum line. They consist of a metal frame, and are a great alternative if the patient does not have deep enough bone.
Transosteal implant consists of a metal pin or a U-shaped frame, this implant passes through the jawbone and the gum tissue, into the mouth.
What is the procedure for getting a Dental Implant?
Dental implant surgery is typically performed in stages:
- The first being your damaged tooth is removed.
- After we remove the tooth, your jawbone is prepared for surgery. This process may involve bone grafting. (If your jawbone isn't thick enough or is too soft, or your sinus is too low, you may need bone grafting or a sinus lift before you can have dental implant surgery)
- After your jawbone heals, your friendly dentist in Melbourne will place the dental implant metal post in your jawbone.
- Each healing period is different but this could take several months.
- Your dental health professional places the abutment, which is an extension of the implant metal post. (In some cases, when the implant is very stable, this can be done at the same time that the implant is placed)
- After the soft tissue heals, your dental health professional will make molds of your teeth and jawbone and later place the final tooth or teeth.
- The entire process can take many months from start to finish. Much of that time is devoted to healing and waiting for the growth of new bone in your jaw.
How much do Dental Implants cost?
There are varying factors to take into consideration; a consultation with your dental healthcare professional at Nova Dental in Melbourne will confirm the cost of this procedure for you.
Do you have payment plan options for Dental Implants?
Nova Dental offers 18 Months Interest Free* for those wishing to consider a payment plan option. If you would like to read more about Interest Free* dental finance please click here
Are dental implants safe?
Dental implant materials are completely risk-free and don’t carry any chance of infection to a healthy adult. In some instances where a patient may have diabetes, osteoporosis, is a smoker or drinks alcohol frequently, there may be some risk factors to consider; talk to your dental healthcare professional.